Gynecomastia surgery in Iran: Just as small breast size in women can cause a lack of self-confidence, abnormally large breasts, too, can result in loss of confidence and embarrassment in men. Fortunately, today’s advances in medicine have allowed for effective treatments for abnormally large male breasts. With years of experience in cosmetic surgery, our plastic surgeons are prepared to help you get back your normal masculine body with a simple surgical procedure.
WHAT IS GYNECOMASTIA?
Gynecomastia, or the overdevelopment of male breasts, is a common condition in men that causes the breast tissues to swell and become larger than normal. Gynecomastia is a jumbled derivation from Latin and Greek language: Gyneco – ’woman’ + Latinised form of Greek mazos – ‘breast’ which is a variant of mastos. Although gynecomastia is benign, it often leads to psychological problems and is a source of embarrassment for individuals, making them prone to teasing and name-calling. This condition can occur at any age, and male breast reduction can be performed safely and successfully on teenagers and adult men alike.
WHY DOES GYNECOMASTIA HAPPEN?
Gynecomastia can be caused by several factors, including genetics, obesity, an increase in the ratio of estrogens (female hormone) to testosterones (male hormone), or certain medications such as spironolactone (Aldactone), anti-androgens, anti-ulcer drugs, calcium channel blockers (used to treat hypertension), as well as drugs of abuse such as alcohol, marijuana, heroin, amphetamines, and methadone.
WHAT IS GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY IN IRAN?
Gynecomastia surgery, or male breast reduction is an effective surgery for reducing the volume of breast tissue in men, and re-contouring the chest for a more masculine appearance. This cosmetic surgery procedure removes excess fat and glandular tissue to restore a flatter, firmer and more masculine contour to the chest.
Since gynecomastia surgery is a safe procedure and you can get it at a decent price in Iran, men from other countries are increasingly showing interest in traveling to Iran to undergo the procedure. In this article, we are going to both shed light on gynecomastia surgery and provide you with some information about this treatment in Iran.
TYPES OF GYNECOMASTIA
Here are the four types of gynecomastia based on severity:
- Grade 1: Small breast enlargement with localized button of tissue around the areola
- Grade 2: Moderate breast enlargement exceeding areola boundaries with edges that are indistinct from the chest
- Grade 3: Moderate breast enlargement exceeding areola boundaries with edges that are distinct from the chest with excess skin
- Grade 4: Marked breast enlargement with excess skin and feminization of the breast
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY?
The best candidates for male breast reduction are healthy adult men who have enlarged breasts that have persisted over time and cause embarrassment, and self-esteem issues. They have good overall health and don’t suffer from a life-threatening illness or a condition that impedes healing. These men don’t smoke, and have realistic expectations about the results of the procedure. In order to maintain results, patients will need to avoid any medications or substances that could trigger breast re-growth and keep their weight stable following surgery.
GYNECOMASTIA DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
We recommend that you consult a specialist to make sure that the enlargement of your breasts results from gynecomastia not a threatening disease like breast cancer. Your doctor will ask you a number of questions about your and your family’s medical history and medications you take.
The doctor will also do a physical examination and may ask you to undergo a blood test and mammography in order to make a gynecomastia diagnosis. You may need to further undergo CT scans, MRI scans, ultrasounds, testicular, and tissue biopsies depending on the results of the initial tests.
After finding the root cause of gynecomastia, the first step is to treat the condition that has caused gynecomastia. If a certain medication you are taking is the cause, your doctor may ask you to stop it or substitute it with another medication.
Some medications used for breast cancer and other conditions, including raloxifene (Evista), tamoxifen (Soltamox), and aromatase inhibitors (Arimidex) can help in reducing gynecomastia, but they are not specifically approved for this use. There are medication-based therapies like those prescribed to alter the hormone levels, but their efficacy is not 100 percent and they often have unwanted side effects
Most cases of gynecomastia improve on their own over time without any treatment, and this may take one year or two. If this doesn’t happen, treatment becomes necessary. The fastest and most effective gynecomastia treatment option is surgery.
PREPARING FOR GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY
If you decide that gynecomastia surgery is right for you, it’s important that you know how to prepare. Read on to learn more about some of our preparatory tips.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO AND AVOID
- Stop smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery as nicotine can impair and delay healing.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 1 week prior to surgery.
- Stop taking all aspirin-containing products, medications which contain blood thinners (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, etc.), vitamin E, and herbal supplements 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Let your surgeon know of all medications and supplements you are taking on a regular basis.
- If you happen to develop an illness or infection before the date of surgery, inform your surgeon without fail.
- Avoid sun tanning starting 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Switch to a whole-food diet (real food that is not processed).
- Cut out the sugar, white flour, and processed foods.
- Avoid all forms of sugar, including agave, honey, and artificial sweeteners.
- Increase your intake of fruits and fresh vegetables.
- Consume a lot of water both before and after the surgery.
- Get regular exercise three to six days a week.
- Prepare mentally. Be free of anxiety and panic before the surgery. Ask as many questions as possible to your surgeon to gain full confidence and trust in the procedure.
- To even decide to undergo surgery for male breast reduction requires a lot of mental strength and willpower. Just increasing this mental strength further goes a long way in ensuring a smooth and hassle-free surgery. The success of the surgery does not hinge on the surgeon’s expertise alone; your cooperation and preparation play an equal role too.
- Make sure you arrange for someone to take you home after surgery. And you will want a friend to stay with you for a day or two.
- Take at least a week off from work if your job involves excessive hard labor.
- Fill all prescriptions prior to surgery. Go over instructions and ask questions if clarification is needed.
DAY OF GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY
- Do not eat anything 8 hours prior to surgery and do not drink anything 6 hours before surgery. You can take medications with a sip of water.
- You may shower and shampoo your hair the night before or morning of your surgery.
- Do not bring any jewelry or valuables with you the day of surgery.
- Remove contact lenses, dentures, and nipple rings before surgery.
- Wear a zip-up or button up shirt and flat, comfortable shoes.
HOW IS GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY IN IRAN DONE?
Depending on whether the bulging of breasts is caused by excessive accumulation of fat in breasts, which is called ‘false gynecomastia’, (also, pseudogynecomastia, lipomastia or adipomastia) or excessive growth of breast tissue (gynecomastia), two techniques are used: liposuction and mastectomy.
In cases where gynecomastia is the result of excess fatty tissue, liposuction techniques alone may be used. This requires insertion of a cannula, a thin hollow tube, through several small incisions.
The cannula is moved back and forth in a controlled motion to loosen the excess fat, which is then removed from the body by vacuum suction.
MASTECTOMY (EXCISION TECHNIQUE)
Mastectomy involves the removal of excess breast tissues or skin. This technique also is used if the areola will be reduced or the nipple will be repositioned to a more natural male contour. Incision patterns vary based on the surgical preference and specific conditions.
COMBINATION OF LIPOSUCTION AND EXCISION TECHNIQUE
Sometimes gynecomastia is treated with both liposuction and excision to get the ideal result from this cosmetic surgery.
Most doctors first remove fat deposits lying around the areolas and under the arms, then by making a small incision under the areola, cut out the excess tissue dense, rubbery tissue that cannot be suctioned out through with the cannula.
GYNECOMASTIA SURGERY RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Any surgery has some potential risks and complications. Be as informed as possible about the benefits and risks of gynecomastia surgery.